31 March 2008

Yola Monakhov - new author on The F Blog


My name is Yola Monakhov. I am a photographer working in both color and black-and-white film, mostly in large format, but in medium format, as well. I consider myself a traditional photographer, in that I follow the code of photographic investigation, never knowing beforehand how something should be pictured, but discovering meaning through the process of photography.






I was born in Russia and grew up in New York, where I immigrated as a child with my family. I completed my MFA in 2007 at Columbia University in New York, where, in 1998, I also received an MA in Italian Literature. In the intervening years, I worked as an editorial photographer primarily overseas and in crisis areas, and increasingly started devoting time to the pursuit of my own work. I am a contributing photographer to The New Yorker magazine and teach photography at Columbia University and at Mercer County Community College.


My latest project, of which I am including five images, is still very open. Since I have been teaching Photo 1, I have become deeply enamored with black and white film and its possibilities. I am photographing in uptown Manhattan, around where I live, and downtown, in the financial district, where I currently have a studio residency through the Lower Manhattan Cultural Council. For this work, I am focusing on architecture as landscape, and on portraiture, in the studio and in the streets.

Photos and text © Yola Monakhov

The F Blog sends good vibrations to you Yola. We are happy to have you here and we can´t wait to see more of your work!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

A big and very warm welcome to you Yola! Such great pictures from New York!

Anonymous said...

Hello Yola -- it's good to have you here on the F Blog -- love these photos, and am thrilled to hear that you and are kindred medium & large format film spirits!

br said...

nice work...looking forward to seeing more. welcome!

Rhonda Boocock said...

Wonderful b&w photography...welcome to F-blog!

J. Karanka said...

Great new addition! I really liked Yola's work when I saw it at this very same blog in January.

Anonymous said...

happy to see you here, Yola

Chris said...

Welcome Yola! So very nice to see you here at the F blog. And great pics too!

/Chris

cafe selavy said...

I'm in. I can see from your viewpoint.

Anonymous said...

Exciting photography. Welcome!

Svend said...

Wonderful work, as I've come to expect to see here. :)

Anonymous said...

very, very, very welcome!

Exposed Material said...

Welcome onboard, Yola. Enjoy!