20 February 2010

Invited guest: Bodil Frendberg


































In my own work I combine fact and fiction to create a new reality. My pictorial content is staged photography and I find inspiration for it in everyday life. The objects I am using are either made props or objects that I have found in flea markets and secondhand shops. The people that I use as models in my staged photographic scenes are often people that I have found in everyday situations. Their body language and facial expressions trigger my imagination to combine the real with fiction. I deliberately stage a scene in front of the camera where a photographic fictional reality is being created. I am the director and costume designer. I create a "narrative tableaux" The human body in conjunction with the prop is placed in an open space. The space is often chosen with the light in mind and I am looking for large windows and openings for the light to travel through and within. The space is well researched before setting the scene and when I have found a space, I will visit the space several times to study the light and to prepare the scene. Props will be laid out and chosen with the space and the human body in mind. The light acts as another layer in the photographic narrative. Within the space I move the scene spontaneously along with the movement of the light. Without the light the scene won't come to life. The light gives the scene character. It's like a light play, where the light falls and shapes the space and the human body and the prop is transformed yet again into another layer of meaning. The light shapes the scene and the human body becomes the actor and with the prop and the light the photographic narrative takes on another dimension. I bring these elements together and try to instigate an interaction and choreograph the scene as it unfolds.

Many of these photographs are lith printed, a photographic darkroom process I have worked with a great deal. The characteristics of the lith print is the pink/brown tone. To see more examples: www.bodilfrendberg.com


Invited by: Markus Jenemark



7 comments:

joanna said...

these frames reminds me of paintings of velazques, are awesome!!!:)

Jan Bernhardtz said...

Fantastiskt fin, underfundig fotografi. När foto är som bäst!

the style crusader said...

hey! i put a photo up of you from friday at somerset house. i only just found out your name and blog from frances, and so i have just put a link up to your blog under your photo. xx

jeanne said...

I love your work, Bodil. Markus sent me a link earlier, knowing that I would, and I do! I hope we can meet someday, I'd love to sit and drink coffee with you.

Anonymous said...

Thanks again for sharing! I love your work!

M Jenemark

Anonymous said...

This is really good!
I dont understand how you do. What a feeling!

Love it!

Anna

Chris said...

I love this, such a experience to see some of them in real life too.

Kul att träffa Dig också!

/Christofer