26 July 2009

Down the Middle

Absence


Having dual nationality may affect the way we perceive ourselves, especially if we have been forced to leave the place where we were born and spent our early years. Therefore, a loss of that feeling of belonging can be the result. You don’t completely belong to the country you migrated to but you don’t know if you still belong to the one you where born in either, especially if you spent a long time away from it.

This project explores my life as an Anglo-Mexican capturing the places I lived in Mexico and in England to help me retrace and discover my roots.


Hulme

Dad

Playground

Sandwiches

Clouds

Bio
Fine art photographer Roxana Allison was born in Manchester, UK (1980) and raised in Mexico City where she lived permanently until 2008. She currently lives and works in Britain. She graduated with a BA Fine Art Degree at the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM) in 2004. Since having her first solo exhibition in 2003, she has taken part in several photography group shows in Mexico and the USA. She is currently part of the group show Lost in Transit, held at Impressions Gallery, Bradford, UK where she is exhibiting her latest body of work, Down the Middle, which explores her bicultural roots.


Photos and text: Roxana Allison

8 comments:

carl said...

beautiful.

benjamin said...

congratulations Rox!!
y esa primer foto me recuerda la q te tomé, asi q hay influencia jajaja
:)

seba said...

fkng Brilliant, stunning work!!!

seba said...

en espanol, De puta Madre!!!! me encanta...

Jan Buse said...

Great images, you can almost taste the absence and loss. I think you can be homeless in a lot of different ways, and I for one can really connect with the feelings in these images.

No direction home!

Laura García Hernández said...

Dear Roxan:

Your picture is so great, and I celebrate when my firiends found their own voice.

I miss you.

Laura

PD. And when are you going to send me your work for the book???

Christopher Nunn said...

Amazing work, well done!

Unknown said...

You should be the new Magnum photographer......amazing work!!!!!