20 November 2006

la luz de la mañana - from contact sheet to print

The "la luz de la mañana" photograph was taken in Merida, a town located in the north of the Yucatan peninsula of Mexico. It was taken from a museum building (with no glass windows). To be honest, I don't remember what the museum was all about. I was just staring down the street and enjoyed the perspective and the scenery. All together, I just exposed four frames from that location. Two of them were quite similar, with individuals just passing by. I felt that the one with the boy was worth printing, the composition was more balanced and I liked the white hat and that the car was more evident.
When printing this negative, I strived for dark shadows and a pitch black car. All in contrast to the white roof of the car and the white hat of the boy. I also felt that a high contrast print would make the road and the pavement more interresting. Furthermore, the early morning light would be more emphasised. Middle tones and blacks were obtained by printing at grade 4. To get a punch in the whites, the entire print was bleached until desired effect was achieved.


In a way, I must have had the photograph "fluteplayer" by Werner Bischofs unconsciously in my mind when I saw this scene in front of me. Perhaps, it's in the peacefullness, I see the resemblence. Sometimes telephone wires can ruin a good scene. Here, I'm grateful that they connect to the horizontal lines and make the image more alive.

Ansel Adams have said that the negative is the equivalent of the composer's score, and the print the performance. We'll see how I interpret the negative in couple of years from now...

Fuji GS645 (folder)
T-MAX 100 (EI 100) T-MAX developer
Fujimoto G70, Rodenstock Rodagon 105/5.6
Fomatone in Neutol WA, bleached
photos: abeku

15 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Interesting, abeku, you only felt the atmosphere of the museum and then you create this wonderful photo. Great!

20 November, 2006 16:44

Anonymous said...

interesting stuff about one of my favourite photographs
but ansel a ..eeeeh?

F said...

Great photo Anders, and very interesting to read about how you work with your copies to achieve the result you seek :)
-alf

Anonymous said...

fantastic! a cult picture

Anonymous said...

I think you've got the love of true printed photos. A friend of mine transmitted this love: the touch, the beauty of tones, the unique result of each print... He told me : it's like life, uncancellable (for the best as for the worst) like in digital world. His homepage is http://samu.roy.free.fr/ .

Anonymous said...

Oups, my be better to read unlike in digital world ;) (sorry for my english ...)

Mikael said...

Can you take that in ps language ;-)

Interesting to take part of how you worked with this that is a favve to me.

Salute

Exposed Material said...

Thanks Joannés for that great link! Remarkable artwork!

F said...

I have a print on my wall:)
Just one of my favos!

/Thomas

F said...

Very interesting article anders! I have seen the print in real life, and I was very impressed.

/Mats

Fredrik Skott said...

I agree with all the others. This is a very interesting article to read! - f.

F said...

I do love this one, it has everything that makes a really good photo I believe. Intresting reading too.

/Christofer

Jeanette said...

AS you already know Anders, i like this shot and all lines, geometry and mood... It has a vintage look too as i appreciate. When can we a book from you?

Jeanette

Exposed Material said...

Thanks for all your valuable comments! I'll do more of the "from contact sheet to print" thing!