23 November 2006

Invited guest: JP Zorn

Running around on the internet you stumble on lots and lots of photographs. Some of them you forget the same time you click on the next one but some gets stuck in your mind. These polaroids by JP Zorn I found on www.photoseen.com along time ago and I've revisited them several times. It's an honour to be able to invite JP as a guest here at the F Blog.
Invited by Markus Andersson

Garry Winogrand once said: "I photograph to find out what something
looks like photographed."


Taking polaroids is an act very much in the
spirit of that credo. These pictures were taken with a Polaroid SX-70 camera and a Polaroid 680 SLR using Polaroid Time-Zero and 600 film between the fall of 2003 and the winter of 2006. They are part of a series that recorded suburban scenes and spaces and things around where I live. They are concerned with light and shape and color as well as the lives of objects. They come out of the tradition of documentary photography but, in the end, are simply personal.

Polaroid discontinued the production of Time-Zero film in the first quarter of 2006. Since then I have been taking landscape pictures using a Holga camera.

/JP Zorn









10 comments:

Anonymous said...

what fascinates me the most about these pictures is the light, there
is something very soulful in it
regardeless of the seemingly
ordinary subjects
this is the first time i have seen
these pictures. i am glad you invited
JP Zorn

F said...

Refreshing vision. The pale colors and the square compositions. Minimalist subject matter. The essence of light and matter, in a way. I will definitely come back again.

J. S-g.

Jeanette said...

P - so nice to see you here on the blog, you already know what i think about your work - have said so many times.

Jeanette

Anonymous said...

I like the essence of these images...the simple shapes and the pale colours...makes me feel naked...it's up to me to add the contents.

Exposed Material said...

The first time I saw your images was on the Photoseen site. I was strucked by how personal the images were, so Zornish and unique.
I'm delighted to see your artwork on the F-blog!

F said...

I like it, minimalistic both in choice of motifs and the pale colors of the polaroid is enhancing that minimalistic feel. Very good indeed!

/Christofer

Anonymous said...

I read thru the comments of my friends, and there is not much more I could add. I was always deeply impressed by your way of watching the world (not just pola). I am truely happy you are here with us.

mats äleklint said...

Like it very much! The light and the mood is stunning. Also like the polaroid image edges, it almost makes it threedimensional.

Anonymous said...

There is certinly a special mood in these that appeals me, have seen some of your other work and it´s a pleasure to see

F said...

This is very interesting indeed, so scaled down of content but the viewer are richly rewarded.

/Thomas