12 September 2007

Le Blurb - by Svend Videbak








Le Blurb
These pictures are just as much about drawing and painting as they are
about photography.
In a couple of cases I have finished a photographic print
by hand, to "dress" it with colour and form
in ways that I thought were needed.
In other cases I have started with a large sheet of watercolour paper, marking

out a square and filling it by drawing and painting with great speed and
spontaneity without fixating upon a
subject -- I have tried to let my hand and
heart rule, keeping my brain out of it.

Then I have taken the result,
taped it on a wall in a darkened room, and
photographed it by painting on it with a hand-held
halogen spotlight, shaping
the light with my hands during a long exposure with total spontaneity.













The results are generally an impenetrable mess. A mess, however, that begins
to come alive when I look at it on the computer after scanning the
negative.
Or not. Usually, not. These pictures, however, did come to life at least for me.
I hope they live for you as well
in a continuing flash of recognition.





















Pictures and text: Svend Videbak
Titles from top:
Three
Anatomy of a breakdown (1)
Anatomy of a breakdown (2)
Angel of mercy
Golden Jade
Just married
Portrait of a shy girl
Sentinel

9 comments:

Lina Nääs said...

Wow! This is so cool! What a great idea. The pictures look great

Jan Buse said...

Yes, great work!

Anonymous said...

so great to see your work here on the F Blog, Svend. Thanks so much for taking the time to explain the process as well, it's fascinating.

Anonymous said...

love this Svend
many thanks for being here
/Ulf

Anonymous said...

Howdy Sven! Either one of us need to take that ferry...
Great work!

Kepes Jozsef said...

beautiful works

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful and original work!
My faves are "Angel Of Mercy", "Anatomy of a breakdown" and "Just Married", simply wonderful.

Anonymous said...

I think that art gains a lot when ones mixes draw,painting, photography &/or digital tools.

Henrik said...

bravissimo!