14 January 2007

the deadly virus H1N1

Street car conductor in Seattle not allowing
passengers aboard without a mask. 1918


The year was 1918 and a deadly virus caused a pandemi killing
perhaps up to a 100 million people. The horrors of World War I were coming to an end, but people around the world were now facing yet another terrible threat.

My grandfather on my mother´s side died of "The Spanish Flu", and so did my grandmother on my father´s side. The influenza was taking the lives of so many, often young people.

I came to think of this reading the news about "the bird flu", H5N1, that apparently still is around.

Picture found at the National Archive

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

my paternal grandfather, on his way to fight in the WWI trenches, got the flu. 1918 or so. He was hospitalized, and while in the hospital met my grandmother. So the great influenza epidemic is kind of responsible for me.

Ain't that a trip?

Anonymous said...

yes it is Jeanne
I was thinking of this
that perhaps many of us have stories
about family members and the
flu of 1918
thanks for sharing