13 November 2006

gryphons, climate change and coffee

Photo: Ulf Fågelhammar

I was actually looking for some information about climate change, since Per-Arne brought up this issue. But the gryphons led me to Persia (they have appeared in Persian art) and yes...! Of
course! Montesquieu and his Persian Letters written 1721. He must have said something about climate change. Well, I did not get so far. Instead I got stuck with this:

"COFFEE is very much used in Paris, there are a great many public houses where it may be had. In some of these they meet to gossip, in others to play at chess. There is one where the coffee is prepared in such a way that it makes those who drink it witty: at least, there is not a single soul who on quitting the house does not believe himself four times wittier than when he entered it."

LETTER XXXVI -Usbek to Rhedi, at Venice (translated by John Davidson)
Montesquieu was referring to Cafe Procope

So where to go from here? I am thinking of an Espresso machine from 1961, which is said to produce the most delicate coffee in Stockholm. Found at this café.

(I think all of this is the work of Dr Tarkini)

9 comments:

F said...

hehe, nice story!
simple picture, nice and everydaylike.
- f.

F said...

ummm, have you been into the coffee, Urbano?


nothing like it :)

jeanne

F said...

I am waiting for Marcin to say something here!
He should be familiar with this
kind of coffee.
Coffee...! I am an addict!!
-urbano said that

F said...

I'm an addict too, and proud if it!
- Abeku

mats äleklint said...

I am an addict too... :) I need to check out that café at söder!

Anonymous said...

according to our Polish tradition, whatever is the issue is there is for sure Polish story in it - maybe it will be new for you, but coffee came to Europe in 1683 after victory of Jan III Sobieski (Polish king - of course :)) under Vienna. The victory was possible thanx to secret service agent, who asked what he wants as a price for his work he took whole of the bags with coffee. He established first in Europe coffee shop, where he served coffee and croissonts (in the shape of muslim half of the moon...
Have no idea who invented coffee express, but I am almost sure there will be Polish story in it...:)
Instead I may tell you day about Columbus :P

Anonymous said...

He he...very good Marcin. But you are wrong ;)
This is Portugal 1986
and the currency is escudo
I told you to ask Cristina
;)

Anonymous said...

is like to travel on time. I didnot see a bill with $ for long time. And the napkins real my country. Thanks Cristina

Anonymous said...

we are also addicted, btw :)